Sunday, August 4, 2013

Subtle Mind Exercise

Today, I listened to the subtle mind exercise.  I had a good experience - it really relaxed me and took me to a different level.  This exercise is very different from the loving-kindness exercise.   In the loving-kindness exercise, we were exploring feelings of love for others, ourselves, and forgiveness.  This helped work on many things.  In the subtle mind exercise, we were exploring our own inner awareness.   Much of this exercise is about focusing on the breath.  As Dacher says, “peaceful breathing pattern leads to a peaceful mind” (Dacher, 2006, p. 75).  While I was doing this, I was visualizing the space I wanted to keep clear (in my mind), as a white smooth circle.  When other thoughts started creeping in, I made a mental “broom” sweep those thoughts to the outside of the circle.  Things did keep coming up, and I did brush them aside, which helped me focus on the clear space of stillness I was wanting to be in.  I sometimes play with my thoughts, that way, just to help me visualize ideas.  The subtle mind is described as the stillness in our mind, between 2 thoughts, or just upon rising from sleep, or when we receive a sudden shock or a surprise:  when all mental activity is stopped (Dacher, 2006, p. 72).  I believe that if I practice this exercise, more often, I can get in touch with the subtle mind for longer periods of time.  

3 comments:

  1. This was an excellent blog post! It seems like the effectiveness of these exercises accumulates over time. I too have practiced several of these several times and found that my understanding and overall participation greatly increased each time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laurie,

    I agree with Austin, This was an excellent blog post !!! I really enjoyed reading it. I am so happy that you tried both exercises and love doing it. I agree that much of this exercise is about focusing on the breath. It was very hard more me to focus on the breath and mind but I also believe that if I practice this exercise, more often, I can get in touch with my breath and mind.

    Stuti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your "broom" imagery, it's nice that you have a metaphor all prepared and ready for when things start to get out of hand in meditations.

    ReplyDelete