Saturday, July 27, 2013

Unit 4, Loving Kindness Exercise

Listening to the Loving Kindness meditation was surprising to me.  It seemed easier to think of my love for that other person, and fully immerse myself in that experience.  Turning that feeling towards myself was not as easy.  It will take time and practice, for me to feel like I have done that successfully.   It did feel really good, though, and relaxing.  After listening to this, I actually had to take a nap!  I had had a full morning, in fact, but I was lulled to sleep by this exercise.

The mental workout that Dacher writes about is the practice of training the mind, daily.  In order to effect change from our minds, to achieve mental fitness, we need a regular workout, or practice.  The most important goal of contemplative practice is the “progressive development of an expanded consciousness and its healing capacities” (Dacher, 2006. p. 65).  Dacher also says that contemplative practice is “cross-training” for our body, mind, and spirit.  Our text addresses the practices of loving-kindness, and the subtle mind.   When we practice loving kindness and the subtle mind, through meditation and visualization, we will cultivate loving kindness and wisdom in our conscious experience.


Reference:


 Dacher, E. M.D. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Basic Health Publications, Inc.



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who was sleepy and totally relaxed after doing this exercise. I was really surprised by the way it mad me feel and I think I will start trying to do it more often. I think it will help me achieve a balance between mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to use this again, too. I have used these types of guided meditations in the past, so it's not uncomfortable for me. It is sometimes easier for people to meditate this way because you are being guided, which can make it easier to keep out stray thoughts (for me). Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Hello Laurie, I think that this exercise will be difficult for me to because I have had sure a hectic lifestyle for so long that it will take time for me to practice mediation. I have a friend that mediates and she seems to be alot calmer than I am. However, if we try maybe twice a week it will probably be something that we want to engage in more and will become easier over time.

    ReplyDelete